CIS115 Final Exam 2
1. What is the first step in software development?
2. What are named locations in a computer’s memory holding information required by a program?
3. What symbol in a flowchart would be used by a developer to represent the beginning or ending point?
4. ) Set name = “BSCIS” is a process. What data type would you expect the variable, name, to have?
5. (You are using dollar amounts in an algorithm. What data type would you assign?
6. What tool is used by developers to design logic using specific shapes/symbols?
7. When a program evaluates mathematical expression, which of the following operators (or mathematical operations) takes precedence?
8. (Which one of the following is a valid assignment statement in a program?
9. (Evaluate (2 * 3) ^ 3.
10. (TCO 2) Review the partial pseudocode below. What is the correct math expression to complete the algorithm and total sales for both regions?
Prompt “Enter total sales for region 1: “
Prompt “Enter total sales for region 2: “
Display “total sales: “ + total (Points : 4)
11. (TCO 3 & 4) Review the pseudocode below. What will be displayed when this algorithm executes?
If ((x > = 10) AND (x < 20))="">
Display “the IF path executes”
Display “the ELSE path executes”
EndIf (Points : 4)
12. (TCO 3 & 4) What value gets displayed for the variable X?
If (B > 15) AND (() OR (C <= 15))="">=>
Display X (Points : 4)
13. (TCO 3 & 4) In the following pseudocode, what raise will an employee in Department 6 receive?
If department < 2="">
If department < 6="">
EndIf (Points : 4)
14. (TCO 3 & 4) Which of the selection structures determine whether the user enters a number outside a range of 5 and 15? (Points : 4)
15. (TCO 3 & 4) What value gets displayed for the variable Z?
If ((balance <> 800) OR (stateCode <> 6) OR (creditCode <> 7) then
Display Z (Points : 4)
1. (TCO 5) The statements executed within a loop are known collectively as the _____. (Points : 4)
2. (TCO 5) Which of the following statements is false? (Points : 4)
3. (TCO 5) A DO loop is considered what type of loop? (Points : 4)
4. (TCO 5) What happens when the loop control variable is not changed? (Points : 4)
5. (TCO 5) How many times will the following loop be executed?
DOWHILE num <=>=>
Set + 1
ENDO (Points : 4)
6. (TCO 7) What is another name for an array’s index? (Points : 4)
7. (TCO 7) Suppose you have an array named number,
and two of its elements are number(1) and number(4). You know that _____. (Points : 4)
8. (TCO 7) Which one of the following correctly declares a zero-based array of four integers? (Points : 4)
9. (TCO 7) When processing the elements of an array, what control structure is used to move through each element within the array? (Points : 4)
10. (TCO 7) A zero-based array named sales has been declared and loaded with the values 100, 1100, 3400, 5550, 3000, 22300, and 1200. What value will be stored in the array element sales(1)? (Points : 4)
11. (TCO 6) A file contains _____. (Points : 4)
12. (TCO 6) What is automatically placed at the bottom of a file when the file is closed? (Points : 4)
13. (TCO 8) Menu-driven programs need to give the user the option to _____. (Points : 4)
14. (TCO 9) What type of error occurs when a program will not execute because the rules of the language have been violated? (Points : 4)
15. (TCO 2) The first module is usually considered to be called the _____ module. (Points : 4)
1. (TCO 10) A retail store is having a customer appreciation sale. Depending on the total dollars purchased, the customer could receive a discount on his or her total purchases. You are to develop pseudocode that will obtain the total dollars purchased from the user, determine the discount percentage, and display the total amount due. When the purchases are more than $100, the discount is 10%. When the purchases are $100 or less, the discount is 5%. (Points : 10)
2. (TCO 10) A small business in your neighborhood would like an application developed that determines the average dollar amount spent for every three purchases. The user will enter three different purchase amounts. You need to display the average to your client. Complete the pseudocode to design your logic. (Points : 10)
3. (TCO 9 & 10) There is a logic error in the following pseudocode. The loop needs to execute four times. What statement(s) would you need to add or change to correct the logic? Be sure to explain why you are adding or changing the statements.
Set + 1
UNTIL total <>
Display total (Points : 10)
4. (TCO 4 & 10) Complete the pseudocode by rewriting the algorithm. The design is determining the correct sales tax depending on the county identifying code. Counties with a number less than 10 have a 6% sales tax. The 11–25 codes have a sales tax of 7%. Codes above 25 have a sales tax of 8%. The code is entered by the user.
Declare Real salesTax
Declare _____ countyCode
_____ “Enter the county code: “
If _____ <= 10="">=>
If _____ AND _____ then
Display “the sales tax is: “ + _____
End (Points : 10)
5. (TCO 5 & 10) Complete the pseudocode by rewriting the algorithm. The design is to display a 60-second countdown.
Declare _____ count
Display “countdown: “ + _____
Set - 1
Display “LIFT OFF!”
End (Points : 10)
6. (TCO 4, 5 & 10) Complete the pseudocode by rewriting the algorithm. The colors red, blue, and yellow are known as primary colors because they cannot be made by mixing other colors. When you mix two primary colors, you get a secondary color. Mixing yellow and blue gets you green. Mixing red and blue gets you purple. The algorithm allows the user to enter two primary colors and then displays the resulting secondary color. The colors entered by the user will be validated to ensure they entered a primary color.
Declare String color1
Declare String color2
Declare String control1
Declare String control2
_____ “Enter first primary color: “
Prompt “Enter the second primary color: “
Set control1 = “n”
DOWHILE control1 = “n”
If (color1 <> “yellow”) _____ (color1 <> “red”) _____ (color1 <> “blue”) then
Prompt “first primary color is invalid”
Set control1 = “y”
Set control2 = “n”
DOWHILE control2 = “n”
If (color2 <> “yellow”) _____ (color2 <> “red”) _____ (color2 <> “blue”) then
Prompt “second primary color is invalid”
Set control2 = “y”
If (color1 = “red”) AND (_____) then
Display “secondary color is: purple”
If (color1 = “yellow”) AND (_____) then
Display “secondary color is: green”
End (Points : 10)
7. (TCO 1, 2, 3, & 4) Describe the difference between a flowchart and pseudocode and explain whether one is more important to develop than the other. (Points : 10)
8. (TCO 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5) Describe two of the three control structures and how relational and logical operators are used. (Points : 10)
No reviews. Be the first to write one!